Traditional Music
I finally got around to jamming with my friend Julia. Julia's a horn player that went to Cap, but she's also a dancer, and recently has been exploring traditional Irish dance.
And, as an extension, traditional (and not-so traditional) Irish music. She plays some wind instruments and keys a little. So I took my bass over to jam. Our potential bodhran and our fiddle player couldn't make it, so we weren't sure how things would go.
We had a great time, and played with a few different ideas, some of which weren't even close to being Irish or celtic in feel. And we're hoping to get together again in the next few days. This could be the start of something...
I also went to the Bavaria festival at the local German club. Lots of singing that reminded me of church, and a small band - clarinets, tubas, trumpets - playing some traditional German music. Eventually I'll get a few of my photos of the event up.
So, in the past week I've been able to explore the musical history of both sides of my family history (ok, so there's a little Scotch-Irish and Scotch and Native American, too, but German & Irish are about 99% of it).
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home